Who We Are
The Mission Canyon Association traces its origins back to a predecessor organization, the Upper Mission Canyon Improvement Association. Because of increased concerns about the threat of wildfire, that Association disbanded on March 1, 1948 and in its place the Mission Cañon Association was organized, including all Canyon residents north of the Mission. [Note the traditional spelling of Canyon as Cañon]
The primary purpose of this new organization was to secure adequate fire protection -- either by forming a fire district or by entering into a contract with the City. The Association purchased a 50 gallon soda and acid fire extinguisher and a 300 gallon water tank under motorized pressure to combat the wildfire threat.
In July 1957 the Mission Canyon Association was incorporated under the non-profit laws of the State of California.
The Association's territory encompasses 1,140 acres in the County of Santa Barbara, as described in the Community Plan and Design Guidelines (2014). The area encompassed is generally north of the Old Mission, east of Alamar, south of the National Forest and west of the City boundaries extending along Foothill Lane. Link to map of Mission Canyon
The Association is governed by a Board of Directors, selected by vote of the Association's Members at the annual meeting, according to the Mission Canyon Association By-Laws.